It’s not always easy to know which rug will be right for your space. We often find a rug that we love at the store, then get it home to find it is too small, large, or awkward in our home. However, there are tips and tricks that you can follow to ensure that your rug will be proportionate and attractive in your room.
1. You should try to cover as much floor space as possible in areas that are high traffic, such as entryways and family rooms. This helps protect your floor from wear and tear and avoids having a place where one foot is one the rug and the other is not.
2. If you are using a rug for more decorative purposes and still would like to show off your floors beneath, pick a size that will let between 18″ and 24″ of floor show on each side.
3. Sizing the rug so that it sits slightly under your furniture will keep it in place even better than a rug pad. This also helps avoid the illusion of a “floating rug” which can look awkward.
4. Rugs help absorb sound. In a room where this is an issue, try to cover as much floor space as possible. Generally, between 8″and 12″ of floor on each side is the minimum. This is especially helpful if you live in an apartment or condo where you have neighbors below.
5. There are different rules for different pieces of furniture. Rugs should extend 24″ from the sides of a Dining Room table, enough room for chairs to push out without going off the rug. From the sides of a bed, a rug should extend 18″
6. In smaller rooms, such as bathrooms or kitchens, rug placement can get even trickier. You will usually be dealing with smaller “scatter” rugs which are placed throughout the room. These often range between 2″ x 3″ to 4″ x 6.” The best placement is in the most high traffic areas: in front of the sink, the tub, etc.
7. If you are still unsure about what size rug will work best in your space, use masking tape to mark off several different sizes. This will help you to visualize what will actually look best in the room. You won’t be surprised when you get your rug into the space and will be able to avoid a trip back to the store to exchange.[/code]
Follow these tips and you will find a rug that is both functional and beautiful in your space.